Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Times and Seasons

I am learning to try and filter the stresses and phases of my life in terms of seasons and times. Seasons, in the way I am using it, refers to a particular time in life or a stage of growth. This often ties into the progressive stages on must go through on the path of maturity. In other words, these are the different lessons one must face in the process of sanctification. These are frequently sequential and one stage must be passed through before another begins. Pretty much, this is a spiritual lesson I have to let God reshape a part of my character before He will start working on the next thing. I think everyone must pass through the same seasons along the path of maturity.

Times, however, are more directly related to what God is doing in history. History, by nature, is ever-changing. Sure, there are cycles in history, but, they often relate to man's sin. When we look at times, we see the unique way God is speaking into a specific part of history. Although similarities between different times can be drawn out, God usually is doing something different from one time to another in the world through his people. On a more personal (or group level) times relate to how the things going on in the world affect us as individuals or groups.

When we try to discern whether the times or seasons affect our lives it is easy to get confused as to which is causing what. A simple, logical way to think about the causes of events have three possibilities: 1) something is caused by a season 2) something is causes by the times and 3) something is caused by the times and the season.

  1. When something is caused by a season it affects the person going through it now the same way it would have affected someone 3,000 years ago or 3,000 years from now. Since spiritual growth typically is the same eternal process, the human reaction is essentially going to be the same regardless of the times. One can often gain comfort and solace in identifying with others who have been through the same process. The different stages can be identified, patterns can be recognized and a bit of a roadmap can be made to help handle the stresses of the season. In a sense, seasons are the easiest to handle because, even though the transformation is not enjoyable, you can figure out how to make it out alive if you are willing to trust God and let Him change you.
  2. When something is caused by the times the affects are similar in all people for a given time. When compared against a cause being seasonal, times typically are unique in that never before and never after will the same unique constellation of conditions affect everyone the same. More often than not, a "wave" of one attitude, behavior or action comes across a people. I would tend to think times are of the magnitude of principality. Many times can be endured by focusing on God instead of the circumstance and finding joy in the uncertainty. Here God calls us to trust Him by believing what could be classified with doubt as a negative thing is in reality, through faith, something good.
  3. Lastly, when something is a combination of both times and seasons it is the most difficult. Neither the predictability of a season nor the temporary nature of a time make the combination of the two easy to handle. Without certainty in one area, this can pull one down quite powerfully.

In my own life, I have found myself in a season of disobedience. God has called me to be disciplined in my spiritual life. Time is harder and harder to come by. To get the same amount of things done, I have to be much more deliberate to accomplish what is set before me. But, when I allow distractions, laziness or temptation to let me squander time, I become guilty and angry at myself. Guilty because I know this is not the success that I know God has in store. And, angry, because I know that I have failed as a result of my own weakness and selfishness.

But, I have a whole swarm of desires and intentions that began in goodness. Yet, the defiance of these challenges leaves me with lifeless idols in my heart and my mind. I tend to create goals for myself, a thing symbolic of the power I possess. If I set a goal and accomplish, I can know that I possess a specific power. God doesn't want us to put faith in our own powers, though, but, rather, He wants us to put faith in Him and Christ. So, every time I set a goal with the intent of self-empowerment through accomplishment, I am defying God.

In our community group we talked about how to be obedient to God without it becoming a religious activity? In all honesty, I don't know. It seems like a simply question. In trying to find an answer, I saw, I do not know God intimately in this way. Discipline and obedience are very closely related in my mind. To be obedient, we must be disciplined. We must choose to do what does not come naturally through the power of God. As we do this, we are tempted to think it is through our own doing, not through God's grace, that this power is granted to us. And, when we overlook the fact that it is solely as a result of God's grace that God's will in our life can be done, we slip into the arena of religiousness. Or, at least, I think this is the beginning of the slippery slope. First, we see a challenge. Then, we tend to get drawn into our hedging our insecurities and building on our strengths instead of God's grace as we make decisions, look for wisdom and seek strength.

This is a hard season for me. God wants discipline. He wants intimacy. He wants change in my life. And it is a difficult time. The world grows harder, fiercer and more unstable each day. Yet, God is here. He is guiding a way. The challenge is to stand as he wants me to stand, even though it's unnatural. To want things I don't want, but, know are right and good. To let go of things upon which my death grip marks my character. To find freedom in self-imposed slavery. He wants me to be something I am not. Ironically, it is what I am, just not yet. In this season, I wrestle fear and lose. In these times, I fight boldly, but, foolishly. I am hoping I let God in enough to stop losing and being foolish. I am hoping I will pay no attention to the times and be less concerned with each season's difficulties. Instead, I want to radiate God's mercy, goodness, love and power in ways that give people the kind of hope Jesus and the apostles had. That is a call we have in any time or season.

No comments: