Sunday, August 31, 2008

Things that make you go, hmmmm...then, Hallelujah


Sometime in our afternoon ramblings Page stopped me to tell me "a prophet is someone who listens to God and tells people what He says." I thought, wow, that's a pretty precise way to put it. They must have been talking about prophets at Sunday school today, but, it makes me recall something I've been meaning to note for a while now.

A few weeks ago at work I ran into someone I was helping with a curious comment. She got off the phone with one of her daughters and proceeded to comment about the eldest daughter calling in frustration because the younger daughter won't run the vacuum cleaner because she hears voices. My ears immediately perked up at this. The woman dismissed it rather easily. I had meant to go back to talk to her about it but never got a moment. While waiting for my break, I debated about whether I should or shouldn't.

The following Saturday, Page, Kerri and Emma went to Whole Foods. While there Kerri, the super shopper she is, managed to find some all-natural soap either free or surprisingly cheap. After coming home, Page came into my bathroom and proceeded to tell me the soap was singing. Now, I don't know what's weirder, the immediate reaction a normal person would have to this kind of remark or the fact that I didn't even hesitate to ask her about the song. I don't think of my responsiveness as a good or bad thing, just something that makes me different...and my family.

Being that they had gotten the soap at Whole Foods, I pretty much intuited the possibility of a wiccan or witch-based business that curses its products. For me, the gap between all-natural and nature-worship it not that big in some cases. At any rate, I started dialoging with her about it:

Me: "Was it a good song or a bad song?"
Page: "A bad song. It was a man who sounded like a woman."
Me: "You know, God sometimes lets us know things to help us learn about what he wants. Right now, I think God is letting you know this about the soap so you can learn to ask him what he wants you to do at times like this."
Page: "Oh, ok."
Me: "So, if the soap is singing a bad song, what do you think God wants you to do?"
Page: "Throw it away."
Me: "That sounds like a good choice. Go ahead and throw it away."
Page: "Ok."

I don't know if I am justified in feeling this way, but, I can relate to the line in Luke 2:19, "But Mary kept all these things in her mind, pondering them in her heart." I am not inferring my daughter is Jesus or anything along those lines, but, rather, seeing things unfold in my daughter's life that point in interesting directions. Praise God he has entrusted our family with such an awesome path before us. Please protect us as well Holy Spirit that Jesus may be the light in our lives!

No comments: