Sunday, August 17, 2008

I haven't run this through the scriptures, but, there's this unsettling feeling I have about people who work for "the Kingdom". Many times I've met people who are doing "great things", following some dream and doing great work for the "Kingdom of God". Yet, along the way, there is little in the way of built up churches, lives affected in a way I think Christ would commend, and, rarely, long-lasting relationships. Looking as Scripture, from memory at least, Paul would spend years in a place. He would build churches. I strongly suspect his legacy was one built on the backs of the time he spent with people, hearing their stories, telling them about his, and, introducing Jesus to them. The Kingdom was advanced. People came first though. That is the rub I have. I sense the people I have in mind are ones who are achievement and results oriented, concerned more with being super-Christians, much like Paul referred to in Corinthians, than having a super heart for God. I guess I would trade all the gifts in the world for a life more full of love and the fruit of the spirit. Now, I don't pretend I would not like to have a life that more closely resembled the poster-child of the 1st century apostles. However, if I am not that way, I do not try harder. I pray to be closer to God and have others closer to Him because of my longing to be nearer Him. Lord, help me to build your church more, love others more completely and lose my concern for results within my rapture for you.

No comments: