Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Spiritual amoeba


Last Sunday our pastor preached his last sermon of a series from the psalms. For some reason, I got sidetracked and started getting into Jeremiah 14:23. Well, there is no Jeremiah 14:23. So, I read Jeremiah 14:2-3. It didn't really strike me as anything particular. I know for myself, I have found that a particular verse, when given to me with a little nudge, typically means I should keep reading. In this case I did. I felt that so much of what was said in this spoke to our country right now. I also wondered if it spoke to where we are at or where we are going as a nation.

This reminded me of a vision I had several years ago. While praying with a prayer group, I saw an image of an amoeba approaching the United States and then slowly absorbing it. I didn't see much more than this, but, that was enough. At first, I didn't know what to think of it or how to pray about it. I asked Barbie about it at the next Streams class I got a chance to go to (the 202) and she said to pray the opposite, to pray blessing. Fast forward several years and I see a country in the tubes. I just wonder how we are going to get freed of this oppressive, life-sucking spirit. Blessing, repentence, national leadership, coverage, prayer, prayer, prayer.

No comments: