Sunday, May 11, 2008

While discussing giftedness with someone recently an argument I had never foreseen came up. The other person had detached themselves from a religious background and formed a very anti-religious sentiment throughout their life. In an effort to convince me of the virtue of this choice they said that not using their gifts, referring to mental abilities, would be not living up to God's potential. At the time I didn't see it, but, this is the exact kind of thing Paul was talking about in 1 Corinthians 13. He clearly says,
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

This particular person would have nothing. In fact, I look at their life and have deep pity, a certain sadness. The only focus for this person is their own giftedness. Sadly, they don't even realize the shallow "depth" of their point of view. Never do they ask, "What is the gift for?" Only, "how can I use it to the best of my abilities?" Wrong focus, wrong result.

In particular, "intellectuals" fall into the category of person who will resort to this argument that they have something and that something should be their focal point. In reality, love is the intended focus, and all gifts are meant to enhance our ability to love. Taking the focus off the gift, off the self, and looking at the results, at the love generated (or, as in this case, never developed), I think this type of false thinking can be uprooted.

No comments: