Friday, June 26, 2009

In spite of how I might come across from this blog, I'm actually quite goofy. I recently started working with the 2 year olds at my church on Sundays...so, goofiness comes in quite handy. Yet, as I am being quickly reminded, 2-year old kids do exactly what you do. Goofy is not yet something on their radar. They are just parrots, little monkies who see and do. Goofy requires the ability to see an activity, register it, compare it against normal behavior and recognize a difference. 2-year olds don't have "norms" yet. I think the word here is impressionable.

While running this morning this idea struck me while reflecting on a recent incident. A fellow Christian made a comment in passing that some non-Christians took offense to and secretly criticized. It occurred to me that non-Christians are, spiritually speaking, in many ways, like 2-year olds...or perhaps even more like unborn children. They do not have the ability to hear a Christian's comments, filter them and put it into context. Rather, they take it for what it is and, more often than not, it negatively reflects upon the person making the comments.

Applying this notion to how I approach others in my walk, I have to keep in mind that those who are not already grounded in the same ideas, beliefs and hopes I am will not get my incomplete thoughts. By incomplete thoughts, I mean partial expressions of hope and faith. When I make an off-handed comment, it's usually around people I think I can trust who will not hold it against me if I don't perfectly package my inner dialog when it comes out in the form of words. But, since non-Christians won't necessarily have the same frame of reference for my thoughts, it's unfair to hold them to this standard, to the notion that they will pardon my small misdeeds. They do not know they are misdeeds or moments of weakness. Instead, they see it and think, "Oh, he really is just like everyone else even though he tries to be different." We are told to hold our tongues since we will be accountable for every word that crosses our lips. I may only teach 2-year olds on Sunday, but, I feel I am surrounded by them 24-7. Better remember, "Be careful little ears what you hear...". Non-Christians, who are much more impressionable, cannot separate who Christ is from who we portray him to be because they don't know Him. It is up to us to show the world who He is through who we are.

No comments: