Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bluebird


I remember watching K Pax, a movie from a few years back with Kevin Spacey, and enjoying the animated scene with the bluebird. It cracked me up because I know things like that happen, just not quite as often as they used to. Well, our church has a book club that is studying a book called the Blue Parakeet. I never heard of it and saw it in last week's bulletin. The name seemed to be one of those titles that is meant to grab your attention and make you want to look...akin to Who moved my cheese?, etc. Not having time, energy or money to devote I just dismissed it.

God apparently wanted me to pay a little more attention. I had gone for a workout yesterday morning running randomly up and down a few streets in north Plano. As I started into one of my faster sections I saw on the ground a weird looking bird. Sure enough, a blue parakeet. Now, if I were to go by statistics, I'd have to say that the chances of a blue bird native to Australia sitting on the same sidewalk of a north Texas town I happened to be running though...well, the numbers would be small. So, I immediately got the memo. Yes, Lord, I will read The Blue Parakeet. Sometimes he actually has to use signs, even small ones, to get the point across when I ignore the initial message. (Thanks for being persistent God.)

No comments: