Sunday, March 01, 2009

Time banking



A while back the idea of time banking got in my head. I can't recall how or where, but, it stuck. After mentioning something to Kerri about it today I took a moment to see if anyone else had started a similar initiative. As it turns out, the term time banking was coined by Edgar Cahn. (Here is their website.) It has been around since the 80's and seems to be fairly well established in communities where social justice movements and liberal ideals have taken root and succeeded. This also explains why it hasn't gotten much exposure in my homes to date: Baton Rouge, Memphis and Dallas. At any rate, the concept is simple; one hour of my time gets me one hour of someone else's time.

My first response, before I found the website, was to try and figure out an algorithm for translating one person's work effort to another. I was originally envisioning a system identical to the existing economic structure we use in everyday life without exchanging money. When I read their website, however, the hour for an hour makes perfect sense. At first I was a little insulted. Doesn't an hour of my time mean more than an hour of a gardener's. Of course, I immediately realized there was another lesson in that (stemming from our church's sermon on pride). So, God was mentioning that everyone has the same time and we truly have been given equal opportunity to help others. In other words, this social construct we use to navigate our everyday lives based on wealth, worth and value is horribly corrupted because it inherently causes people to determine the value (or perceived value) of themselves and others. In short, everything becomes a competition.

From the website, it looks like there is software, organization, message boards...things to make money for this foundation. Well, that fine and dandy, but, the idea alone seems to have enough power in and of itself. So, I am going to try and create one of these banks here in Frisco and see if it takes. In our economic climate, people are looking for ways to save money and still meet their needs. The notion that money is not the only way to survive (and more importantly thrive) seems to be rudimentary to this group. They have more in mind, like social reform, community building and the kind of grassroots effort that America as a nation lacks these days. Yet, it is exactly what we need. We need to return to community. We need to regain control over what we value and stop letting our things (and those who make them) dictate what our time and lives are worth.

They say 150 is the ideal size for a time bank. So, the Frisco time bank currently has a count of 2...if you count myself and Kerri. We'll see how well it goes. To me it is a little different from the Christian churches did back in the day where folks freely gave to those in need (a la Acts). Nonetheless, the notion that people do not have to operate by the rules of society as society dictates seems like a powerful place to let God speak. And, in our times, it seems like an even more powerful opportunity to minister. People are looking for ways to save money. They would be more interested in reaching out, more likely to try something different. And, therefore, more open to hearing God in unexpected places.

If anyone is interested, email me and we'll see what we can come up with. I'll probably be starting a blog here shortly to the effect of what I'm talking about here.

No comments: