Monday, February 25, 2008

Ruminations on princess toothpaste



My girls have princess toothpaste to help them get used to using adult toothpaste. Since we are remodeling and I couldn't find ours anywhere I used the pink goop. While I was brushing my teeth and looking around I noticed three princesses (we have princesses everyone) on the toothpaste tube. Around them were all sorts of glimmers of light and sparkles. Seeing as the toothpaste was named "Bubble gum magic", it made me think of Page's most requested movie, Cindarella. Those sparkling likes and magic are everywhere. Now, this isn't a magic is evil and we should ban kids from seeing it type thread. Rather, I had the notion come to me that, while fantasy is a dimension kids in particular find more meaningful than adults, the spiritual experiences I have been having and reading more about, in particlar orbs, lights, heavenly hosts, etc, are things kids might inherently be drawn to because of increased sensitivity. Kids are typically far more spiritually aware than adults and it makes sense that kids would see this "magic"--translated into this prophetic Chrsitianese as orbs, lights, angels, etc.--as a part of every day life. In other words, kids relate to these movies moreso than anything else because it is how they really experience things. We often dismiss their fondness for these movies as youthful fantasy and regard it as nothing more. My "bubble gum magic" moment was the realization that this "magic" kids see is probably something real, something signficant and something not to be dismissed. I want to talk to the girls and see if I can ferret out some confirmation of this insight, but, I think He showed me something with why "princesses" are so enamored with their movies and all that is royal.

No comments: