Sunday, March 04, 2007

I probably won't finish this thread because it is one that has long been growing in my mind, but want to start tackling it because it came fresh today as I reflected on a few different concepts. The thread begins with the simple idea of creativity.

For a long time, I wanted to be creative like the greats who have affected history. Not that I longed for fame. It was quite the opposite. I didn't want the attention. I wanted to be possess the ability, the power to so perfectly and amazingly reflect the majesty of creation. Genius captivates in such a way that their impressions of truth seem so perfectly formed that, though we may grasp that other truths exist, the one we behold at that moment is in itself perfect.

Indeed, the maturity of genius works are the essence of their captivating nature. They are so complete in their maturity that no flaws appear. Most creative works are representations of other things. Works of genius, however, are, in and of themselves, no longer representing something else, but, because of their combination of perfection, grace and beauty, something transcending the line of representative to actual.

I contemplated many of the great works of genius trying to find a magical bow that I could use to pull once and have the eternal truths they embody in their artistic efforts unfold themselves before me, hoping for a denouement from which I could glean my own possession of their prowess and abilities. This was really a vanity, the belief that I necessarily could autopsy surpassing brilliance simply by gazing at it long enough, but in this exercise held some interesting points I picked up along the way.

While reading Julia Kristeva's Revolution on Poetic Language many years ago, I noted her use of the term authority as being quite different from anything else I had ever read. In the back of my mind I held the concepts of authority, as discussed by Jesus, but only as a backdrop for my musings. From my considerations of Kristeva's work, I noticed my idea of the creative authority changed from that of "one possessing superior knowledge" (like a subject matter expert who knew all the fine points of a topic) to something more akin to a right over, an author's right.

The language, being French, played on the concepts a little differently than it had in English as the same sunlight on foreign waters shines a slightly different color. Authority hinted at authorship, not power...as in someone possessing the right to decide the fate of matters. At that moment, I saw God's authority more like that of an author than a legislative ruler. God's Word. His creative acts. His actions. These all were creative in nature. They added to existence, whereas authority, as I had always known it, focused more on the administration and government of affairs.
Suddenly, authority was a matter of creative expression.

I saw this insight, noted it, cataloged it into my memory and moved on. Several years later I encountered the creative spirit, mainly as a theme, a quiet hint of a conversation I sensed interesting, at conferences and in book titles. Several revelatory speakers have been discussing the power of God and how it intersects with the creative realms of the arts and sciences. In fact, creativity has been connected with revelatory circles for quite some time, but has only recently gotten a reintroduction on a national level.

Now, I look back and see that there is an almost silent undercurrent not being mentioned, at least no where that I note. In new age circles and some secular humanist camps, the theme that everyone's genius lies in their uniqueness. Now, there is the age-old truism that "You're unique". This is often followed by the tit-for-tat cynic saying, "...just like everyone else." There are many efforts to undermine the power of this statement, but the most dangerous is one that recognizes the truth in it.

Many preying on the power of this realization introduce it, establish it as "hidden truth" not shown by Christianity but known to those who are sharing it. Once people are trapped, they often have already been wounded in the belief that uniqueness cannot truly be tapped within the Christian framework. Well, I won't get into that discussion tonight, but rather point out that Christianity is not only a good fit for these truths, but the source of their power. What other faith has a creative act as the first occurrence in their past?

God's call is for each person to recognize they have a truly unique purpose in the Kingdom of God, to create the most amazing work yet to be seen with the help of all others on the face of this earth. Our authority, our authorship, lies in participating with God's will and love is the only medium through which we shall create truly eternal things. The creative spirit seeks to leave the world a different, changed place; this is the essence of what I sense alternative religions are hoping to captivate and that with which they are trying to abscond unnoticed.

I hate the thought that spiritual pick pockets surround me day in and day out, but it is so easy to forget that we are called to war with love. There is nothing better for an author to do than to leave their stamp, their unique signature on their works. That ensures the authenticity of their works. Most people fear the same way. But, only love can be unique. That is the stamp of a Christian authority, unique love, a love so special that it breaks the mold. It cracks even the hardest hearts and their stony souls with its powerful manner. Dare to love in ways that none have seen and claim your authority. Claim your authorship.

In our war of love and hate, it's not playing by the rules that helps God win, it's playing with the rules. Take the world's rules and show them what it truly means to have power. Ruling over someone, something is not truly power; you're simply a manager who keeps things in check. Creating is true power and there are no rules for being creative. Indeed, that is the antithesis of creativity. If it is a new creation, it cannot abide by any rule. It must, by definition, be something for which no rule exists. Otherwise, it is simply a new arrangement of something old. An essential character of poetry is that it makes the old seem new. That newness, that life, is the power of creativity being impressed on something old.

When I think of how Christ impacted lives, he would take the old, breath life into it and would reveal a new creation. There is so much impact not touched on in the power of new life poured out by the Spirit indwelling a newly saved person. I struggle at the loss when people fail to recognize the unspeakable glory of what the one lost sheep means. Newness, restoration, creation, salvation! How can we not get impassioned about such a display of power, such a display of genius and creative mastery? Let us create love and take hold of the words and works only we can.

No comments: