Sunday, February 04, 2007

I like to try and find analogies between emerging technology and established trends, things which have been entrenched into the fabric of society. Blogging, though not exactly original, is novel in that it allows easy access to writings from anywhere. You don't have to have your notebook or a specific computer to pull a bit you wrote in April 1995 any longer. Hopefully this particular host will stay around long enough for the writing I do now to one day serve as a reflective point...something I can read and say, "I remember when I wrote that." In fact, that's one of the major points I consider when I blog. Sure, I like to get my pie-in-the-sky ideas out of my head, but storing them in a place for posterity's sake makes blogging really interesting. My gravest fear is that the hosting service drops or the databases are lost. I would presume a major service uses high fault tolerant server storage to prevent loss, but it's not always the case that expectations are met. Hopefully they will be in this case.

With that sidetrack in mind, I want to jot down a few little things that happened the past week for reflection later. I did actually create a little database-driven desktop web application for tracking spiritual events because I like to try and identify patterns. Unless you actually record things though, you only have memory to rely on, and that ain't so grand most of the time. Anyhow, about two weeks ago Page was put to bed early for some out-of-bounds activity. She doesn't really like the dark, so she screamed and wailed a bit. Finally, we figured she passed out as she often does. The next morning, she told Kerri that she was scared of the dark and two birds came in and sang to her. Well, Kerri and I immediately knew what that was. It is nice to see our kids learning of the presence of God and his ministering spirits so early in their lives. Perhaps we can usher them into the Kingdom work earlier than we were called by teaching them from the start instead of 25 years into our lives.

Kerri also had some interesting experiences. As always we talked about our dreams on Thursday morning. She told me all she could remember about the one dream was fried chicken. Not much else. Well, as the Lord would have it, one of the pastors at church this morning used a story about fried chicken to relate the tendency of the current church's reluctance or unwillingness to reach out to the world and minister only to itself. I have had a growing dissatisfaction with my own life and its remarkably non-Christian feel lately. For the most part I get too caught up in my head with unspoken mind games, philosophical debates and spiritual musings to stay focused on the great commission and really become guilty of doing nothing to share the gospel. Of course that ties into the other ongoing debate, what exactly am I called to do...but that is another post altogether.

The other instance Kerri had was Friday. When she went in for her 20 week checkup, a woman who had come in before her was watching Kerri play with the kids. As always Kerri did a great job with the kids. Fully armed with books in hard, snacks, drinks, the works, Kerri kept the kids focused and engaged while waiting. After being called to the back and having gathered everything the woman stopped Kerri and gave a huge word of encouragement about how well she handled the kids. Apparently, she had been watching her the whole time. Kerri noted that she also didn't seem to write a single word while waiting almost 30 minutes. A little odd if you ask us...a pregnant woman doing nothing and giving Kerri a nice edifying word out of the blue. The most interesting part is that Kerri had been miserable the night before and talked about how much she needed a break and how drained she was. Seems like the Lord is speaking into those areas of our lives.

Cool stuff going on.

No comments: