Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I find myself always looking for barometers for where the Spirit is and where the world is. Lately, I sense that some of the more interesting spots to find, not necessarily where the Spirit it, but, rather where the world can be found sits right in front of us: television. Now, it's not shocking that the TV tells us what's going on. But, I think, as a Christian, it's important to take note of some of the things that are being projected by TV, however, not be led by them.

One of the more noticeable commercials I've seen lately is Dennis Hopper's spot for Ameriprise. Aside from the irony of Dennis Hopper pitching a financial institution, the fact that the "visionary" marketing firm that birthed this plan tied into an hotspot of spiritual focus smacks a little too much of conincidence. The tag line for the commercial is that and today is about dreams. Now, maybe I'm a little hyper-sensitive to the word "dreams" but it strikes me a little odd that dreams are being sold as a metaphorical, emotive commodity for baby boomers. Hooper says, "You have dreams. And there's no age limit on dreams." In another spot, he says, "The thing about dreams is they don't retire." The one that gets me the most is where he says, "Flower power was yesterday. Dreams are today." To me that seems to be about as blatant a statement they have, at least unwittingly, tapped onto the real momentum of this season. I see no coincidence in a major marketing firm trying to play on a vital spiritual undercurrent. For me, the question is whether they realize it or not.

Another interesting theme that seems to be recurring throughout the media is that of destiny. For instance, the new movie, The Bridge to Terabinthia depicts two kids who create their own reality via art and then have to find this reality too unpredictable, then, through dealing with this reality find their destiny. For years destiny has been the focus of many prophetic teachers and speakers, but only in the past 2-3 years has Hollywood begun to use this buzzword in its conceptual repertoire. Now, a lot of movies are sold more on concept than substance, but even the fact that the writers are trying to cash in on the concepts tells me they've figured out where there's smoke there's fire.

It just seems that TV's propogandist approach to disseminating its own versions of truth as new ideas more readily than those that already are out there passing off new mixtures of old ideas as new. I can hear in the back of my brain, "they're just this...", or "it's only..." which sounds like my worldly mind trying to fight back.

2 comments:

steele family said...

I know, I know, you want to see that movie don't you :)

Anonymous said...

Great work.