Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weird times



I admit, I have a tendency to see into things more than may or is probably there. Conspiracy theorist? Perhaps. But, a few days after the inauguration, I saw a quick blurb on TV somewhere that Toyota sales had finally surpassed either Chevrolet or GMC, one of the American lines. Within just a few weeks, a president was put in office who, 50 years ago, would have seemed impossible. A country, who 50 years ago was violently assaulted by our military forces, has overtaken sales with their products in our economy. The word invasion seems too strong. I am not trying to communicate that the United States is a place for the caucasian only. I am not trying to say that foreign competition in the open market is bad. What I am trying to say is that the world dominance we, as America, the country, had a generation or two ago is gone. People who grew up only knowing America as a world leader will have to learn to live in America as being just another force, but, not THE force in this new global community. All my life I have seen the borders and the horizons of what I knew shrink further and further into the distance, and, the notion of being a place of power seems to, as this year begins to get under way, something of the past. God's hand is moving and we as a country better figure out where its going because it is no longer here. The events of these days are only symbols of the deeper, more profound changes that are happening spiritual in this day and age. Be clear, there are changes and the way we were will no longer work. I feel this is a truth that can be felt on every level: personal, familial, community, church, society, nation. Change is in the air and I am praying we will fare well in and through the times.

No comments: