Sunday, December 03, 2006

Old Testament books always contain so much mystery I read with them with somewhat roy tinted glasses. I never even for a moment pretend I get the full scope of what is being written. For one, I know I'm not a Biblical scholar, in terms of the culture, language, history, etc. On the other hand, I know God says so much we miss simply because we are human that I see it new so often I don't keep count anymore.

As a curiousity I noted two verses that stood out and made a little sense to me. For years I will get cases of tinitus that come out of nowhere, very strong buzzing in my ears. They usually start out really strong then the intensity of the noice dissipates over a few minutes. In Jeremiah 19:1-3, the prophet writes,

Thus says the LORD: "Go and get a potter's earthen flask, and take some of the elders of the people and some of the elders of the priests. And go out to the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, which is by the entry of the Potsherd Gate; and proclaim there the words that I will tell you, and say, 'Hear the word of the LORD, O kings of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem. Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will bring such a catastrophe on this place, that whoever hears of it, his ears will tingle.


The first time I read this I thought, what in the world is that. I figured it was a one off deal. Just something out there, like so much of the OT. Then, I later stumbled across 1 Samuel 3:11,

The LORD said to Samuel: "I am about to do something in Israel that will cause the ears of everyone who hears it to ring.


This time it seemed that the two times tingling in the ears is mentioned in the OT it specifically refers to the future fulfillment of prophecy. My first thought, a quiet marker to be considered over time, was that perhaps my own tingling ears were the perecption of prophecy being fulfilled. Some word was coming to pass in time. But, I just am listening and watching.

No comments: